New Mast and chainplates 

What started out as replacing the standing rigging and removing the old furler from the mast ballooned into a much larger job. We ended up replacing the mast, boom and chainplates before we were done.


Chainplates:
  The original plan was to inspect the existing chainplates for corrosion, cracks or other damage. Then depending on how they looked, fix or replace them as needed. The chainplates on our Union 36 extend through the bulwork and caprail, this makes a visual inspection impossible without removing the chainplate. We quickly learned that it was practically impossible to remove the chainplates. The chainplates were hidden behind covers, paneling, and fiberglass. Once we had removed all the coverings from one chainplate, we realized that in addition to the vertical stock, there were also horizontal tabs welded to he chainplates. These tabs extended underneath both cabinetry and bulkheads. Since we did not wish to destroy the interior of the boat we decided that the chainplates were not coming out.

More to come...

New chainplates

New chainplates

Preparing for the new chainplates

Cutting holes for external chaninplates. You can see where the old chainplates exited the caprail.

Masquerade with new chainplates



Mast:                                
  The original plan for the mast when we bought the boat was to remove the external roller furler extrusion, and convert to a standard main. We are planning on going offshore and felt that the roller furler was not reliable enough, and could not provide proper sail shape without battens. We consulted with Rigger#1 (a well known NW rigger) regarding our plan, and were told it was fine. When Carol Hasse came down to our boat to measure for the new main she brought Rigger#2, Dan from Port Townsend Rigging with her to check the mast.  Dan thought the mast would be too weak for offshore use after the extrusion was removed. In order to get yet another opinion we decided to consult with Bob Perry, the navel architect that more or less designed the Union 36. He ran the numbers for us and determined that for offshor use the mast was marginal at best. If the mast had been keel stepped rather than deck it would have been stronger. To give us peace of mind, and as insurance to protect our sails and boat we decided to replace the mast.
Port Townsend Rigging designed and built a new mast for us, using a mast extrusion from Spartech. The spar was tapered and reinforced at the spreaders and tangs. The mast head was built to handle a spinnaker and extra halyards (run internal). We also installed a trysail track and a track for the spinnaker car. Added self tailing winches and rope clutches so that only one winch per side is needed.

We selected a Selden boom with single line reefing. With the main halyard, topping lift and reefing lines led aft, we can reef the mainsail from the cockpit. This is a safety issue for us as we will be sailing short handed and so will often need to do this single handed.

More to come..

Back from the painter

Mast built and painted, now ready for the hardware to be installed.

New mast on dock

Preparing the new mast to be stepped

New selden boom

Boom wating to be installed

New mast installed.

mast, boom and all standing rigging in place.